May 24, 2012
May 24, 2012
So it was Scooby’s 7th b’day.
and a very Topi (Hat) b’day.
For the hat applique I just googled for “hat images” and took one of the results. Printed it out. Photo-copied to right size and did the usual applique ritual. Added a button at the top and letter in the centre.
This was to go with her capris. Another Burda pattern
and buttons at the bottom cuff
A very happy b’day girl
April 19, 2012
Finally – a tutorial.
Hats off to all the craftpersons who take the time out to do a tute…I bow to you!
A month back I had made this top for Scooby. It was inspired from the need to use a very square piece of fabric. Came out flirty and nice AND super easy! Figured a tutorial was in order.
And then we were to meet a dear friend and her children in Chennai a couple of weeks back (which did not happen) and I decided to make one for her daughter and do a tutorial…
So, here I go.
I took an existing bodice pattern of Scooby (You could use a T-shirt to create one) and modified it to get the desired shape.
Couple of points while modifying an existing bodice- The armhole will sit a little higher than the usual armhole. The girth will be a little less otherwise the ties may keep slipping off.
Then I used the pattern to give me the following pieces for the bodice. I made my pattern such that back and front are the same. I cut the front bodice and lining on a fold and added 3cms to give me the back placket overlap and the seam allowance.
Further I cut out a square for the skirt. The math behind the square is as follows.
I needed 24cms as the side seam length from the armhole. I gave in 4 cms to the bodice and 20cms for the bottom part.
Also I need to cut a hole through the square such that I can attach the skirt to the bodice. For that I took the bodice girth (Including the 2 cms for the plackets). Made by Dana has an excellent tutorial on the circle skirt which will give you the idea on the radius to cut to achieve the girth.
You can choose to cut the centre back seam however you want the corners of the square to fall on the body. In this case I wanted the points to fall at the side seams and the centre back and front
Now the ties.
Cut four 3cms x 45cms rectangles.
At this stage add any details that you want on the bodice piece. I made a flower. In the previous top I had made the flower afterwards and used a safety pin to attach to the bodice.
Prepare the ties by folding and ironing in half. Followed by folding the edges to the fold line.
Attach the side seam of the bodice and the lining. Iron the side seam outwards such that it is split away from the seam.
Now tack the ties to the bodice such that the ties are tucked in.
Then stitch around the bodice, including the placket excluding the bottom edge to attach the skirt.
Prepare the skirt by hemming all around and the centre back.
You could choose to hem the centre back at this stage and do the bottom hem as the last operation to account for any up-down while stitching centre back.
Now attach the Skirt to the bodice.
When I sandwich a fabric between two layers, (in this case skirt between the bodice and the lining), I like to do it in two steps. I ironed the top layer as per the seam allowance and then attached the skirt to the bottom layer and then top stitched the top layer of the bodice to the skirt.
Then top stitch all around the bodice
Now close the Centre back by overlapping the placket allowance and top stitching till the bodice. Do not top-stich the bodice at centre back so that the plackets are free to be used as a closure.
Now add the closure as you would like it-buttons, hook and eye or snap buttons.
That’s the flower at the back.
The front is
April 17, 2012
My design journey in this project goes back to the reversible pants made by Lier of Ikat Bag (…also it’s today that I realised that the pants are actually not reversible but pants with cuffs.). Anyway, Lier is one craft person that I respect…like really respect. I love the honesty in her craft and her person…
So, back to the design process.
I had bought the fabric (December of 2010) with a pant for Uvi in mind and then all of summer-spring 2011 we were in a flux. Finally, this March I could not hold myself.
First and foremost requirement of the project was an adjustable waist. And I had run out of the adjustable-waistband-elastic.
Added the waistband tabs and buttons to address this requirement.
Another requirement was adjustable height. Want to let it last for a couple of seasons. Hence, the foldable cuffs at the bottom hem.
The challenge with the trousers- the colours. Searched in vain for a t-shirt to match with it. (obviously did not try hard enough). Patch up a white t-shirt with his favourite – a car. I just googled car applique images and free-hand drew a car. Then just did the usual appliqueing motions.
I am extremely happy with the outcome and so is the boy. Absolutely thrilled.
And this is Uvi capturing the proof
April 14, 2012
March 29, 2012
Some embroidery after a loooong break.
I had done the same design in 1988 (that’s how old I am) in my eight grade. Itching to compare the workmanship…mom’s promised to fish it out for me.
And just teeny weeny one here
To make this for my 2 year old niece whom I am still to meet.
The dress pattern is 9772 from Burda.
March 12, 2012
I have had this iron table with me for five years now. More Important, haven’t changed the cover in as many years
One day I had had enough
“Me” one very happy homemaker
I just laid the fabric on the floor wrong side up. Turned the table and put it on top of the fabric. Added seam allowance and drawstring allowance and turning allowance and any other allowance of 10cms. Stiched a channel for the drawstring and added the drawstring. Then covered the dirty table. Tada ….